School History

 

Sacred Heart Convent School is an English-medium Catholic Education private school for girls run by Apostolic Carmelite nuns in the city of Jamshedpur, India. It is registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act of 1860 under the title - The Apostolic Carmel Educational Society. The school has grades from kindergarten to 12th (Plus Two).

Sacred Heart Convent School was founded on 15th January 1945. The school building was completed in 1951 and is still in use today, although renovated. Although the school is run by the Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel, it is open to young ladies of all faiths. The school is affiliated with the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations in New Delhi and also offers the Plus Two (12th grade) Course in Arts, Science and Commerce. The school was founded when the world was facing World War II. Jamshedpur was considered a war zone.

On 14th January 1945, Reverend Mother Josephine, then the Superior General and Mother Theodosia, Principal of Patna Women's College met Mr. J. R. D. Tata (Chairman Tata Iron and Steel Company), Sir Ardeshir Dalal (Special Director) and Sir J.J. Ghandy (Resident Director). When the Tata Company Management requested the Bishop to open Sacred Heart Convent School in Jamshedpur, Catholics of Jamshedpur Mr. John D'Costa, Mr. Jerry Rebello and others supported the idea of inviting the Apostolic Carmel Sisters. Archbishop Ferdenand Perier S. J. of Calcutta gave his consent and blessed the enterprise. 

The first batch of Sisters arrived on 14th January 1945 with Mother Cleopha, the leader of the mission. They were accommodated at 5 Beldih Triangle. The C. N. R. Hall was lent during the day for the school, which opened on 22nd January 1945 with 70 pupils on roll. In November 1945 all the classes except the K.G. (Kindergarten) shifted to Dhatkidih High School running in the second shift from 10.30 am In August 1946 the School shifted to Dalma Villa. Mother Joan, the New Superior arrived in May 1948. Under her supervision of Mr. Domingo and Mr. Agha work started on a new building for the school on land allotted by Tata.


 

Policies: Privacy |  Terms |  Refund Policy |  Disclaimer